1. What type of fund raiser can I create?
• Try to find a fund raising event or campaign that will not directly compete with other successful and long-standing benefit events in your area. Here's some suggestions to get started:
• Sports - Participate in a Cycle, Triathlon or 5K, host a golf tournament
• Special Occasions - include your special occasion like a wedding or birthday and collect donations in lieu of gifts
• Memorials or Tributes - recognize a loved one by setting up a fund raiser in their name
• Parties- Bring your friends and family together for the cause. You can host a casino night, happy hour, pancake breakfast, potluck dinner or any type of party
• Be Creative - Engage in a type of activity that you would like to do
2. How do I get started?
• Click "Start a Fund raiser" to create your specific type of fundraiser. You will receive your own personal page and tools to help you maximize your success.
3. What steps should I take to maximize donations?
• Go first: Make a donation to your page. Others are more inclined to give when they see that you are dedicated to the cause.
• Get personal: Add a photo and share your story on why you are raising funds for our organization. By telling your story, your friends and family will feel more connected to the cause.
• Send emails: Use the tools to send emails to your network of contacts, telling them why you are raising funds for our organization and make the ask for donations.
• Get social: Did you know that fundraisers raise 40% more by using social media? Let all of your friends and followers know that you are raising money, and share why the cause is important to you.
• Follow up: Did you know that it takes on average 3 asks to result in one gift? Once you have received a donation, don't forget to thank your donor.
4. Are donations tax-deductible?
• Any contribution to the charity qualifies as a deduction under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code. Payments made to the third party fund raiser to cover expenses are not tax-deductible. Difficulty could arise when an independent, outside organization wishes to raise money for our organization. If the payments are made to this independent organization, and it is not a qualified organization, the payments will not be deductible for income tax purposes. If the payments are made to our organization, then they qualify- to the extent by law.
5. Do I know who donates?
• Yes, all gifts are listed through your fund raising dashboard. Keep track of who donated so that you can send them personalized thank-you messages.
6. Will I see how much I raise?
• Yes, donation information and how much you have raised to your goal is tracked in your fundraising dashboard and campaign page.
7. How do I change the information that appears on my campaign page?
• You can update your campaign page as much as you would like. From your campaign page, click on the Manage button in the top right corner to make any changes to your page.
8. I forgot my login information.
• From the main login box, please click on Forgot Password to generate a reset email sent to the email address on file. You are also able to update your password in the Settings section of your dashboard.
9. Who should I contact if I need more information?
• If you need assistance with creating your own fundraiser, contact our CURE Outreach Team today at events@CUREepilepsy.org or (312)255-1801.